Saturday, March 21, 2009

Go Stop

If you know a Korean, ask him or her about a game called Huatu (Chinese: 花斗) (Korean: 고스톱). It's the best card game I have ever played in my life. Also known as Go Stop, this game is a tremendous way to pass time, gamble money, and make Korean friends (or enemies if you get really good). The story that was told me when I spent time in Korea was that during the Japanese occupation, packs of these cards were handed out with great liberty so as to keep the native population busy and complacent. That sounds kind of ridiculous, right? But play Go Stop and you'll most likely begin to agree with the absurdity that a game played with flower-themed cards is capable of sedating an oppressed people. You can read more on the rules, scoring, and strategy here. The wiki entry, which can be read by clicking this link is also quite interesting and informative.

I'm sorry for the short post, but I'm on vacation in Taiwan. Anyway, involving yourself in this new activity definitely conforms to the "I want in" attitude.

3 Responses to “Go Stop”

Alex W,

Why would one ever want to "waste time," as you so eloquently put it. Our time on this earth is precious. You've gotta "carpe diem the moment man," not let it float away without having done anything meaningful.

Does this card game involve alcohol? If so, please ignore the preceding.

欧洲的敏锐的彬彬有礼的同学

Sarah said...

Who said "waste time"? It was not Alex, but you Mr. O'Brien. I will agree with Alex, card playing, and other such small group social activities can be a great way to build friendships and relationships. I spent a few summers involved in an exchange program that had a large number of Korean attendees. Looking back on to these days, I have to most vivid memories of the card playing in the car on the way to Niagara Falls, the hand games that left me bruised, and the friends that taught me how to so thoroughly enjoy the passing of time.

Alex W said...

YEAH! Thanks for having my back Sarah..

Leave a Reply