Friday, March 27, 2009

Always Stranger

I have a theory (based on what some might call informal research) that if something has been imagined and is physically possible, then it’s been done before. I’m speaking here in vague terms, as I know that some of you have probably imagined eating a foot-long Subway Club (for only $5!) while listening to Beethoven’s 7th Symphony on an island in the Andaman Sea with a polka dot bikini-clad Jessica Alba. Well that might only be my imagination, but while it’s certainly physically possible, it has in fact not been accomplished…yet. Anyway, the basis of my admittedly imperfect claim is supported in part by the existence of people like Albert Fish, the films of Alejandro Jodorowsky, Sick: The Life and Death of Bob Flanagan, Supermasochist, and the Japanese entertainment industry as a whole, here represented by Super Pii Pii Brothers, this game show here, and these Halloween costumes.

Now while all of the aforementioned deserve to be marked with flashing and screeching “I’m totally f’ing insane” warning signs, it wasn’t until I stumbled across Dancing With Cats – a photo diary (accompanied by text) of tortured cats “dancing” with their tormented owners – that I felt inspired to write this entry. In case you can’t make out the words in the photo on the right, an excerpt reads: “…you have to be careful; sometimes the energy is so powerful I worry about overstimulating my aura. At those levels, an unstable etheric oscillation could collapse into an astral vortex and suck my spiritual reserves into a state of negative sub-matter.” This is coming from Marvin, a guy who likes to “go ballistic” with his cat Missy when his neighbors are at work.

The point of this post? Well, there isn’t really one. But if I had to squeeze a moral out of it: Don’t get old and close your eyes and start thinking you’ve seen it all.

No response to “Always Stranger”

Leave a Reply