“Where is the Life we have lost in living? Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge? Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?” Mr. T.S. Eliot, I’m sorry, I don’t know. However, I’ve got some more information for you…
But what’s that you say Mrs. Gertrude Stein? “Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense.” Well, isn’t it better to get too much than too little?
Anyway, I found a wonderful collection of Mike Wallace interviews (1957-58) hosted by the Harry Ransom Center of the University of Texas at Austin. Copyright of all of the interviews is held by Mike Wallace, who generously agreed to allow the Ransom Center to present them here in their entirety. By clicking the link, you can watch uncensored interviews with, just to name a few, Eldon Edwards, ex-Imperial Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan, Earl Browder, former head of the Communist Party in the United States, Senator James Eastland of Mississippi, known at the time as “The Voice of the White South,” Frank Lloyd Wright, one of the greatest architects of the 20th century, Margaret Sanger, the leader of the birth control movement in America, Salvador Dali, the surrealist painter, Aldous Huxley, social critic and author of Brave New World, and Dr. Henry Kissinger, who at the time was Associate Director of the Center for International Affairs at Harvard University. You get the idea. Really great stuff!
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
« Newer Post
Older Post »
One response to “A Very Cool Resource”
Wow - what a great collection of mid-20th century luminaries - I'll listen to most of them.
Leave a Reply