I live in a newly constructed 17-storey building that’s part of a very modern apartment complex. There is a Wal-Mart within 1 kilometer of the main security gate. I’m embarrassed to disclose the luxuries I enjoy compared to the average Nanchang resident, but what I’m saying here has a point. The point is, I was a bit apprehensive when one my friends - who is coming down for a one-day visit this Friday - asked, “can we meet some farmers? and/or kill a chicken and eat it for dinner?... i feel like i should be able to kill a chicken if i eat it so much in everyday life. and if i can't, well, maybe i should cut back on KFC.” I wasn’t so much apprehensive about the idea of killing a chicken as I was about explaining to my friend that I don’t exactly live in a farming hamlet. But this morning I left my apartment at 11am on a mission: Find a person who is not only willing to sell me a live chicken, but teach me and my friends how to kill it, prepare it, and then send us home with the meat. I had class at 2pm, so I left a few hours for this task. I was no more than 150 meters from my complex when I spotted a kitchen worker on a smoke break outside his restaurant. I figured there would be no harm in asking him for some advice. Perhaps he had some leads. I prefaced my question with, “this might be a bit strange…” but there was nothing strange about it for him. Before wasting more than 3 breathes, I was staring into the pebble-like eyes of a chicken clucking around in a cage. “68 RMB!” he proclaimed. “You can also buy a rabbit for 25 RMB per half kilogram,” he said while pointing to a group of giant cartoon-like mammals that, to me, looked more like hares than rabbits. “We also have these rare birds that come from Poyang Lake. Those are a bit more expensive since you can’t even find them in the marketplace. Only we have them. 105 RMB a head.”
Mission accomplished! Raise the banner nice and high for all the world to see. But tell me, why is that within a couple hundred paces of my doorstep I can find someone who is willing to sell me an endangered animal and teach me how to kill it, but I can’t get a decent stick of deodorant anywhere?! How convenient…
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
« Newer Post
Older Post »
3 Responses to “How Convenient”
Haha, I'm starting to feel like most of the posts could end with "only in China". Wild stuff.
Dude, that seems pretty expensive. Just visited a nongjiale today where you can order 'dian sha', or various animals to be killed on the spot and cooked for you, they were only 30 to 40 rmb.
yeah, there definitely was some bargaining that could've been done...
Then again, this was a pretty nice restaurant in a relatively expensive spot.
Leave a Reply