I was trying to describe my impressions of China to a Chinese friend by saying that this country is raw… alive… full of blood. The translation didn’t really work, but anyway, my point was that China doesn’t share the disinfected feeling you get from visiting Singapore, the order of Korea, or the modernization of Taiwan. Actually, China does have these things in some places and at some times, but more importantly I believe, it has much more. Every time you are out on the street in China (literally - just about every single time), you see something new and crazy. There are far too many examples to put in this one post, so I decided to make this a running piece in my blog. I’ll call it “Only in China.” This is part one. While the photos and stories you will see can occur anywhere - and probably do - it’s just that in China they occur with greater frequency and increased magnitude. Nothing is small or few here.
Earlier today I took a 45 minute stroll through the neighborhood behind my apartment complex and below are a few of the things I saw through my camera’s lens:
Chinese certainly do not keep chickens as pets, so I have no idea what this sleepy chicken is doing tied to a tree.
I have no idea what is going in this picture, except I saw this young child apparently struggling to breathe under his plastic Power Rangers mask.
To all of my readers living in China, and to those who have visited before, I welcome comments on what you have seen that made you blink twice.
3 Responses to “One Way in Which China Is Not Like the Rest of Asia”
Hey I really enjoy your blog. I think your finally hitting a good groove with it. I was in China last year and one thing that I remember freaking me out was all the kids pissing and crapping just off the sidewalks. Only in China.
Mr. Alex, I have ever enjoy reading your blog, please make attention to Mr. James Fallows of "Atlantic Monthly" who is reporting on China very frequent (http://jamesfallows.theatlantic.com/) PLEASE READ this article on difference between China and Japan with pictures are very great: http://jamesfallows.theatlantic.com/archives/2007/11/the_way_vs_a_way_japan_v_china.php
Hey thanks for the link to the James Fallows blog. I read his piece on "the" way vs. "a" way a while back and found it very funny. while there are tons of exceptions to that rule, as he admitted, i think he was alluding to a very common theme.
Leave a Reply